Saturday, September 26, 2009

Day 32 ( a day late): Event

A few friends and I are hosting an event at my place this evening. We have asked for payment to cover the cost. I see an interesting psychological change in my mindset. We are the "party family" - guests float in and out of our house all the time. I cook and entertain with ease, since I love the company and pretty much leave it to my friends to feed themselves. But, now that I am charging people for attendance, I feel the pressure to satisfy their expectation and at the same time to stay within budget. I race around cooking, cleaning, and mentally preparing for the event. Needless to say, I did not get to pretty myself up until 2 o'clock, and then, barely. My friends show up at 4 and help set the venue up with remarkable efficiency. I think to myself, this is what friends are for. They do things without having to be asked. They are there when you need them. I serve myself a glass of wine, and start feeling good. People come and seem to be enjoying themselves (or faking it quite well). I top my glass off as I try to make sure that everyone is feeling comfortable. By the time I get to introduce the speaker of the evening, I really don't know what is coming out of my mouth, but my friends are nodding, smiling and even laughing (at me, no doubt). My hired help for the evening (aka my kids) refill glasses, take away plates, and clean up in the kitchen. The event ends, and I find my friends wolfing down leftovers at 10:30. My best friend from business school days, sleeps over. We have a nice girls' chat in bed and then drift off to sleep in total exhaustion.

1 comment:

  1. Events like that are always fun and awesome!

    ReplyDelete