Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day 60: Rat Race

Thinking back to a few years ago, I was absolutely, totally burnt out. 9/11 had come and gone, I had become a senior executive of sorts in large corporations, and was realizing that hard work and brains alone did not get you any further up the corporate ladder. All of a sudden, there was a glass ceiling, there were politics, there were stakes to compete for.... and what for?

Over the years, our family had grown, our lifestyle had become more elaborate. I was on the treadmill, in the midst of a rat race, the head pig in a three-pig-race, and totally, utterly unhappy.

So, we moved back west for semi-retirement. But once a rat, always a rat. Less than a year had gone by before I was on the treadmill again, albeit a mini-treadmill. I got sucked into the vortex, until I realized how futile it was. Things got easier, I started "letting go", and here I am.

Serene.

Now, I need to remind myself to stay this way as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment