Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 2: F12

The brave Santhosh calls again at 8 am. By then, I am wide awake, fully engaged to tackle the day, to achieve my dream. At 11 am, Santhosh suggests we reinstall Microsoft XP by tapping the F12 button for 10 to 20 seconds. If anyone ever tells you to hit F12, never succumb. This is an invitation to the black hole. I foolishly succumb, just as I foolishly succumbed to an X-ray for Charlie yesterday. Charlie is no longer limping. He is no longer moaning. He is barking and running around the neighborhood as if nothing happened. I feel like smacking him. 6 hours later, Sahir from Mumbai has succeeded in re-installing XP for me, but all my files are lost, and my external hard drive does not work. Sahir tells me his name means magician, but he knows no magic. I vaguely feel like smacking him, too.

Hours of conversation with India have taught me a few things.

Shoe string enterpreneurs cannot afford in-house IT support. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Just never tap F12.

IT problems provide unexpected time to practice yoga poses in front of the computer. When I was an employee, I did not dare strike a pose in front of my computer at work. Anything is possible when you are an entrepreneur.

IT problem solving takes time so pace yourself for drinks. All of Mumbai now knows that I left my son in charge while I was in the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment